My most precious photograph

 Well, to be honest, it is a difficult choice, there have been lots of photos that I have taken this last few years that have a special place in my heart.

Only recently I started taking pictures, using a gifted 35mm camera, I have kept little moments from my life, from friends to family, from places to almost whatever I can think of, I have taken lots of pictures, and although it is an expensive hobby, I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

Now if I were to choose just one photo that fills me with joy would be this one.

Is of my dog, and her story is an interesting one. I first met her on the streets near my house on a summer's Wednesday evening, there she was, a bit thin but not emaciated, looking thru the trash in the search of something tasty to eat.

I didn't think much of it, I talked to her and scratched her back, and kept walking. The thing is I had my friend over on Saturday, we had a little party, and they stayed over. The next morning I walked with them to the subway, we were planning on trying some waffles together, so as we were walking we felt the little noise of paws on the pavement. There she was, putting her best face so we would give her some treats or water, we kept on walking, as none of us could adopt a dog, I live in an apartment so it is kind of hard, we talked to her and scratched her back on the traffic lights. When we arrived at the waffle place I made my order and instead of soda I asked for water, non-gasified water, so I could share a sip or two with her. Long story short she followed me back home, and in the overwhelming heat of the summer, I decided to get her upstairs, at least I could give her some more water and food, and maybe find her owner or giver on adoption. It was a rushed decision, but I risked it anyway.

It was a couple of months of constant troubles, my dad didn't want a dog in the house, my little one couldn't adjust to the apartment and I couldn't find her a home, even after a much-needed glow up.

That January we traveled abroad for a week, and so I wouldn't catch feelings, I named her "Dogga", a generic name in the hopes of preventing any bond from developing. The truth was that it was too late, I already scratched her head and accompanied her until she fell asleep, and other things. We left her at my grandma's house, and she would take care of her, along with my uncle, while we were away.

Once we came back my dad didn't want to go to my grandma's and get her back, I insisted that we couldn't let her be there, because my grandma also did not want a dog, and if I was planning on giving her away I needed to be able to keep her nice and clean.

On January the 7th, my uncle called me early in the morning, my dog had escaped, and they couldn't find her anywhere. That day was a cousin's bday, so in the morning I went to my grandma's and started scouring the streets under the sweltering sun, looking for my dog, calling her name, and keeping my eyes peeled for any sign of her. My hopes were low as all hell, because a day had already passed, and the chances of finding her in a 5 km radius were minimal. So I searched from 9 till 4, no rest, no results.

I was on the pits that afternoon, I was really sad, my only hope was to give her a caring home, and instead, I managed to get her lost in a completely alien place. We arrived by car when we left her, so she couldn't possibly know the way back.

All weekend I cried and thought of her, and wished her a good life.

Monday came about, and after I posted on the internet, and sites from the place where my grandma lived, all to no avail, I received a call from the concierge. He told me "Good morning, were you looking for your dog by any chance?", to which, I responded "yeah, why?", "because she's here". I couldn't believe it, and I wasn't, really, I thought he was mistaken, but appreciated the thought, but also, how did he know about my dog.

Anyways when I finally got downstairs she was wagging her tail, a little thinner and so happy to see me, I was ecstatic. For reference, my grandma lives in San Pablo station, line 1, and I live somewhere near Escuela Militar, so as you imagine crossing half of the city was a feat that until this day I can't explain.

This photo was taken the first week she arrived at home, and i hope her home until she passes.


Comentarios

  1. Beautiful photo, beautiful doggo. It's so real that it's an expensive hobby the one of taking photos with a 35mm.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. it's a very cute story that you tell, how nace that you could have given it a better life, since everything is better than being on the street

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares