The best concert ever!

 It's hard to pick only one concert that has been my favorite one, I've had the privilege of watching some of my favorite bands live quite a few times, but for me, even if it isn't the most flashy show, or the most expensive, 2016 The Libertines show would be my pick.

To begin with, I think some context is needed to point out why was this particular experience the best concert ever. It was 2016, not so long ago I know, and my cousin was getting ready for his trip to Canada. He planned to go there and meet with his girlfriend who had been living there since April.

This was new territory for me, this wasn't my cousin's first trip abroad but it was the first time he would be spending that much time far from home, and the distance that would stand between us would be deeply felt.  


The thing is, we were planning to go see The Libertines live as our last event together, they were playing the opening gig before Iggy Pop. We both are Libertines fans, my cousin more so than I am though, so the event was quite important for both of us.

As time grew closer to the date of the concert my wallet was even emptier than it was during the summer when we agreed to go watch them. When the time came I told him that I wouldn't be attending, I was really short on cash, nearly $0, and didn't have a way to get the money before the concert.

That Saturday we had a family lunch to say farewell to my cousin before his big trip, and it was there that something was set in motion. My cousin asked again if I was sure there was no way I could get the money for the ticket, to which I responded negatively, he looked around for a bit and told me he was inviting me, I was in shock and declined at first, it felt like receiving too much without even asking. He wouldn't take no for an answer, and I was kinda glad he didn't, we got in my uncle's car and went to buy the ticket.

My cousin Matias bought the VIP ticket, and that was part of the reason I tried to decline, so he said he was going to buy the same ticket for me, we were going together after all.

We had some beers in the park, the concert was at Movistar arena in Parque O'higgins, and talked a bit about the trip and how things were going for him and me, that year was particularly difficult for me so it felt good to talk to somebody about it, even for a bit.

With a belly full of beer and high spirits we went inside to try and get the best spot possible. When the show started it was wonderful, they played a bunch of best hits and fan favorites, everything was going great except we were somehow far from the stage, as we tried getting closer the band started playing "Can't stand me now", and the people went apeshit, pushing and pulling us everywhere, it was pure and unrelenting chaos, given they are a band that is not heavy at all.

We got a hold of ourselves nearly at the end of the song, which includes a harmonica solo, after it Pete Doherty, The libertines' frontman, looked at the crowd and threw the harmonica away, I was weirdly aware of where I was standing, and how much space was around me, and as I thought about that I saw the metallic flash before my eyes and dove headfirst to the floor.

I felt a hand grabbing my own, and under mine was sitting the most coveted prize I could think of. Keeping my hand closed and looking up the other guy let go of my hand and congratulated me, as my cousin looked at me amazed at what had happened.

When the opening gig ended we went to the bathroom and I showed my cousin the harmonica, we were ecstatic and some people congratulated us on the way there.

I held on to the harmonica for a week, my cousin really wanted it and asked me to give it to him "pretty please" a few times, I told him I wanted to savor the triumph for a bit, but that before he traveled I was going to give it to him. And so I did, the day before his trip I handed it to him, thanked him for the opportunity to go watch one of my favorite bands with him, and that I was only able to grab the harmonica because he invited me, he told me that we could call it even because he wouldn't have gotten it if it weren't for me.



Comentarios

  1. I don't know about the Libertines, but I have a good friend who is a HUGE fan of Iggy Pop--who I also like and appreciate.

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares